Depending on how far you have come in planning your study abroad journey, it’s not unusual to be feeling overwhelmed. Questions like where to study, which degree to pursue, and what the future holds in terms of job prospects can leave you feeling overwhelmed. But fear not, we’ve got some insights to help you navigate this pivotal decision-making process.
The University of Potomac, in a bid to shed light on the most sought-after degrees worldwide, did the gritty work of diving into Google search data for countries across the globe. They’ve sifted through the vast amounts of information and created this map showcasing the most searched-for degrees in each country. So, what does the world want to study, and what can we learn from these findings?
Nursing emerges as the undisputed champion, ranking as the most searched-for degree across the world. Business administration and law degrees trail behind nursing. What makes these degrees such popular choices?
In the US, business degrees reign supreme, while the UK favors psychology, law, and nursing degrees.
In India, English tops the list, likely due to its expanding role in the job market. Holding an English degree in India can lead to an annual income of up to ₹446k, especially with media and communication jobs on the rise.
Spain, Japan, and Switzerland also show significant interest in law degrees, which can lead to lucrative careers with average annual earnings of up to £107k.
What might the future hold for these popular degrees? Are there trends on the horizon that could reshape this landscape? More importantly:
Why Are These Degrees So Popular?
Nursing isn’t just popular; it’s the undisputed frontrunner in global degree searches. This phenomenon isn’t a coincidence; it’s a result of several compelling factors that make nursing a standout choice for students across the globe. So, why is nursing the most studied major in the world?
- Practicality: Nursing is a field that offers hands-on, practical skills. In a world where healthcare is a universal concern and fundamental need, this degree equips graduates with the ability to make a tangible difference in people’s lives.
- Job Security/Global Demand: The demand for healthcare professionals, including nurses, continues to grow globally. Factors like an aging population, the prevalence of chronic diseases, and unforeseen health crises (as evidenced by the COVID-19 pandemic) all contribute to the increasing need for healthcare services.. Nursing graduates often find themselves in high demand, ensuring job security even in uncertain times.
- Immediate Impact: Few careers offer the opportunity to make an immediate and direct impact on people’s well-being as nursing does. This sense of purpose and the ability to improve lives on a daily basis is a significant draw for aspiring nurses.
- Diverse Career Opportunities: Nursing opens doors to a wide array of career options, from clinical roles to administrative positions. This versatility appeals to those seeking a range of job opportunities within the healthcare sector.
- Financial Stability: While the desire to make a difference in the world often drives individuals towards nursing, it’s important to note that the financial stability that comes with a nursing career is also an attractive aspect. Nursing salaries, especially in developed countries, provide a comfortable standard of living.
- Global Mobility:A nursing degree is highly transferable across borders. Nurses often find it relatively easy to work in different countries, allowing them to explore international career opportunities and broaden their horizons.
These are some nursing degrees offered worldwide:
- Bachelor’s in Nursing, BS – Pace University, New York
- Bachelor’s in Nursing (Mental Health) – The University of Manchester
- PhD in Nursing Practice (DNP) – University of North Georgia
- Master’s in Nursing – The University of Memphis
- Holistic Nursing Practice Certificate (Online) – Rowan University
- Versatile Skillset: A business degree equips graduates with versatile skills applicable to various industries, making it a valuable asset in the job market.
- Entrepreneurial Opportunities: In a world where startups and entrepreneurship are thriving, a business administration degree provides the knowledge and tools needed to navigate this dynamic landscape.
- Financial Rewards: Business professionals often enjoy competitive salaries and opportunities for career growth, attracting individuals seeking financial stability and advancement.
Examples of Business Administration degrees are:
- Bachelor’s in Business Administration – EU Business School
- Master’s in Business Administration – Budapest Metropolitan University
- Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA) – University of Cologne
- Enduring Demand: The need for legal expertise remains constant, positioning law graduates as invaluable advisors and advocates in various legal matters.
- Financial Rewards: A career in law can be financially lucrative, with high earning potential, especially for those who specialize in lucrative legal fields.
- Diverse Specializations: Law degrees offer a wide range of specialization options, allowing graduates to focus on areas of law that align with their passions and interests.
Some law degrees offered around the world are:
- Bachelor’s in Law (including foundation year) – London Metropolitan University
- Master’s in Law – Vanderbilt University
- PhD in Law (JD) – University of Iowa
Looking to the Future
While nursing, business, and law degrees dominate today’s educational landscape, it’s essential to consider how these trends might evolve in the future:
- Changing Healthcare: As healthcare continues to evolve with technological advancements and the emergence of new global challenges, nursing may undergo shifts in specialization and focus.
- Business in a Digital World: With the rapid digitization of industries, business administration degrees might adapt to incorporate more technology-related coursework to meet the demands of the future job market.
- Legal Tech and Specializations: Law degrees could see increased emphasis on areas like legal technology and specialized fields, reflecting the changing nature of legal practice.
Apply to Study in 2024
While these insights from the University of Potomac provide valuable guidance, remember that your passions and career goals should ultimately steer your choices. Whether you’re inclined toward nursing, business, law, or any other field, higher education is a transformative journey that prepares you for a world of opportunities.
As you contemplate your path, explore the wealth of educational resources available to you, including our website, which can assist you in the application process for universities worldwide. The future is yours to shape, and with the right degree, you’ll be well on your way to making a meaningful impact on the world.